We progress towards a fairer, more equal society through being:
- reflective, modest and caring;
- willing to share knowledge and experience;
- active, involved and doing good work.
That is why we are called Shared Future.
At Shared Future our motto is simple.
"We can do that here."
Our Mission is to move people towards ever greater authority and autonomy by acting confidently and in community with others.
By ‘in community’ we mean more than simply living within a community.
- A community is more than the sum of its parts.
- Community is what we do, not who we are.
- Community is about taking part, not a label given to us.
Achieving our Mission
We achieve our mission by:
- encouraging people to engage with difficult issues that matter to them;
- facilitating exchanges between those with diverse knowledge and experience;
- respecting there are many solutions and no one right way to solve a problem, and everyone has something to contribute;
- providing appropriate information, advice and guidance so that those we engage with are able to be more confident in their own abilities.
We will know we have been successful if we are able to demonstrate:
- we can sustain ourselves in an ethical way;
- we grow our reach, and take on new challenges;
- those we engage with are more confident and feel able to tackle ever larger challenges;
- we maintain a wide range of positive relationships;
- when challenged we are not living up to our vision we act upon it.
Our core services are focussed around empowerment in the broadest sense.
We care about how we fairly share limited resources, improve the quality of public services and build opportunities for current and future generations. We organise our activity into three broad categories:
- Engagement: facilitating respectful dialogue between individuals, both within a community and with a government, a local authority or a public agency.
- Participation: encouraging and supporting people to engage with and take action within a community and so influence wider society.
- Social Enterprise: enabling a culture of ethically working together so everyone can play a full and active role in society.
We realise that the boundaries between these areas of work are flexible, and there is no one right way to do something. It’s always about taking part, being confident in our ability and doing the best we can.